
The man: Ernesto (Che) Guevara.
How is it possible that the famous Cuban revolutionary, who died 40 years ago tomorrow, is still staring millions of us down? Because Che's now-iconic image is worn proudly on silkscreened T-shirts all over New York and other big cities.
I'd venture to say that, among college students and urban hipsters, Che shirts are a good deal more popular than Rudy Giuliani, Al Gore and Hillary Clinton shirts - put together.
So who is this man New Yorkers by the thousands are canonizing and celebrating? He is an anti-democratic demagogue at best - and a murderous thug at worst.
Yes, I know that Che went through South America, helping the poor and tending to the sick. I saw "Motorcycle Diaries," the movie in which he's portrayed with almost Christlike reverence.
That is part of Che's legacy. But only part.

No comments:
Post a Comment